Thursday, October 7, 2010

A dream contract!

I got a dream contract. I'm going to interview eight farmers about their farming experience AND take pictures of them and their farms. I am so psyched... As many of you know, I have Barn Heart. Thanks to Jenna at Cold Antler Farm I now know what it is called.
I'm driving all over the province before the snow flies because dear readers, I also have scaredy pants to go with my barn heart so need to do it soon. I will meet farmers who will show me their livestock and fields and plans and kitchen tables and I will take pictures of them and find out what makes their lives tick. It is so perfect!
I will talk about blueberries and Joel Salatin and The Omnivore's Dilemna and how to get your chickens to lay when they're lollygagging around eating grain but NOT giving forth and like that!
I'll keep in touch.

8 comments:

Mason Canyon said...

Congratulations, that does sound like a dream contract. Best of luck.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Natasha said...

It may be your dream contract, but they are the lucky ones - who better than you for the task.

Have fun, Jan (and I am still working on last Friday's challenge)

keishua said...

Congrats! That is so cool.What a great opportunity for you.

Robyn said...

Congratulations! Can't wait to see/hear/read what you come up with...

Gardeningbren said...

What a dream contract oh ye with the barnheart! For starters, get some good ole rubber boots...(do they call them slip shots in Nfld?)

Sigh...to think you are going to be interviewing and finding out what makes some of our Nova Scotia farmer's lives tick! Wonderful! It is truly a dream contract and we hope (think all here would agree), as your blogger readers, you are able to share some of what you learn, with us.

Hart Johnson said...

So do you then write an article (book)? Or do oral histories? What will the after-product of these interviews be? My aunt used to to oral histories, and i think she had several of the farmers around Moscow Idaho--I think maybe it was a local historical society that asked her to do it. I wish she was still alive to hook you up, cuz it was very cool.

Tabitha Bird said...

Sounds very 'you' enjoy :)

Unknown said...

Lucky you, blueberries, not easy to obtain over here. Looking forward to hear about your farmers! Carole.